Let’s get right down to it. It’s a busy time of year with parties and soirees booking up almost every single weekend between now and the end of 2013. Between hostess gifts, Hanukkah, Secret Santas, and those poor saps whose birthdays happen during the last two months of the year, there are plenty of times when you’re going to need the perfect something, and we’ve got over 100 vendors who have exactly that.
We’ve broken these up into categories for maximum convenience – For Her, For Him, For the Kiddos, For the Family, and For the Critters. If you must give a gift to someone who doesn’t fall in one of those categories, here’s what I’ve got for you: Yoder’s Donuts.
Whether you’re shopping for the best party host in the hood, your wife, your daughter, or your mom, the market has what you need. Jewelry, food, and wreaths are the no-brainers in this category. Hearty plants like succulents, scented (or hypoallergenic) lotions and soaps, and handmade aprons make smart, thoughtful gifts under $20. There are so many options, we had to create sub-categories!
1. Reginald’s Homemade Peanut Butter (They’ve got a shippable sampler for long-distance ladies.)
2. Pickled Silly Bloody Mary Mix (vodka sold separately.)
3. Simply Southern Pecan Pie
4. Barham’s Seafood Oysters by the Pint (it’s a gift that says, “Here, now go make oyster stew!”)
5. Alfredo’s Whipped Honey & Thinking of You Creations Granola
6. Night Sky Farm Cajeta (It’s a life-changing caramel sauce.)
7. Bella Grove Golden Delicious Apple Butter
8. Blanchard’s Coffee Holiday Blend
9. AnnaB’s Gluten-Free Brownie Cookies
10. Make your own goat cheese sampler: Goats ‘R’ Us Chocolate Chevre, Bonnyclabber Cheese Co. Chesapeake Goat Cheese, Cabbage Hill Farms Smoked Tomato Goat Cheese, Night Sky Farm Goat Cheese. Throw in some Norwood Cottage Bellevue Baguette.
1. Amelia Soap & Herb Co. Peppermint Shea Butter Foot Lotion
2. Jane Hendley Ceramics Soap Dish
3. Wildwood Carver Salad Bowl
4. Mac’s Smack ‘Ultimate Fix’
5. Gypsy Eye Studio Crochet Jewelry
6. Ultraviolet Vintage/Half Past Noon Arrow Necklace
7. Henna Lady Shirts
8. Eli’s Greens Potted Succulents
9. One Rare Lily, Amy’s Accessories or Red Lintu Earrings
10. Grandma’s Garden Flowers
Whether you’re trying to clean him up, fatten him up, or spice him up, there are tons of guy gifts to choose from at the market, not to mention the grass-fed, hormone free beef, pork, and poultry just waiting to call dad’s slowcooker home. Yes, I’m saying give meat as a present.
1. T-Shirts, Hoodies, and all things “RVA” from RVA Shirts & Adventures in T-Shirt Land
2. Bombolini Pasta’s Cabernet Vinegar
3. Do the Jerk-ey! Shredded Beef Jerkey
4. Sweet. Salty. Sour. & Co. Pickled Garlic (Dracula’s Dilemma)
5. Simply Savory Brown Ale Mustard
6. Village Garden Spice Blends
7. Sausage Craft Amerikrainer Sausage (If he’s an extra special guy, consider getting him a meat subscription plan so he doesn’t have to go without sausage…ever.)
8. Empress Farm Toe Jam (dudes, amiright?)
9. Wandering Cow Farm Hardywood Singel Soap
10. Works of Art Pens (Made from, get ready for it, wood from the BATTLESHIP MISSOURI)
For the Kiddos
Learning to shop locally starts young. Making the decision to give the kid in your life a one-of-a-kind gift from the market is a really good way to lead by example. From toys to tutus, tots to teens, Target’s got nothing on the market.
1. Wandering Cow Farm Felted Friends
2. Giggle in Pink TUTUS!!!
3. MA’s Madhouse Disney Heroine/Villain Necklace
4. Handmade by Linda Holiday Ornaments and Dreamcatchers
5. Flower Child Biscotti (perfect for teething tots, also delicious)
6. 2 Dye 4 Tye-Dye Onesies and Shoelaces
7. Dan Springs Collections Dolls and Creatures
8. Crystal’s Treasure Chest Clothing
9. Jill Parker Designs Necklace Charm
10. Upcycle Designs Tie Wallet
For the Family
1. Real Country Sausage Cured Country Ham
2. Tater Dave’s Dinner Rolls
3. Grayhaven Winery Wine (Combine 1, 2, & 3, and you’re welcome.)
4. Red Chicken Pottery Bowl
5. VeggieFresh Food Saver Bags
6. A Wise Gardener Decortive Art
7. Adam Goldsmith photo in Handmade Reclaimed Wood Frame
8. Jeff Vick’s Ceramics Coffee Mug
9. Pure Light Candles (yummy holiday and non-holiday flavors available)
10. HaaShroom’s Mushroom Balsamic Vinaigrette
For the Critters
1. PairADice Farm Yarn (for the kitties!)
2. Clementine’s Mobile Munchies Biscuits
3. Mugsy’s Dogtown Lounge Raw Chicken Feet Treats
4. Works of Art Pet Portraits
5. Basket Case Basket (never lose the leash again!)
6. Sara England Design Framed Print
7. Carolyn Fischetti Felted Leashes
8. Upcycle Designs Pet Clothes
9. Deer Run Farm Beef Bones
10. A New Buddy
Small Business Saturday is November 30, but any day is a good day to support small businesses. A gift of a CSA share from your favorite farm is a thoughtful way to make the commitment to buy local at a time when it really matters. Plan your holiday meals around the great fall/winter produce available at the market – hearty greens, sweet potatoes, and squash, broccoli and brussel sprouts, plus ethically-produced meat, eggs, and dairy – ingredients at the peak of their season.
Happy Holidays – Let’s get shopping!